Since 1965, CHQ has ensured the preservation of four historic buildings on Cap Mont-Joli, near Percé Rock. This emblematic site of Quebec was declared a provincial heritage site in 1973. It offers a breathtaking view overlooking Percé Rock and Bonaventure Island.
Located on Cap Mont-Joli, the Wexford Manor (39, du Mont-Joli) is a large house of French style architecture, built in 1926 as a summer residence. On the other side of the small road are the Laberge House (36, du Mont-Joli) and the Captain’s Cottage (38, du Mont-Joli). The middle section of this cottage was originally located on the beach on the south side, near the existing wharf. This house was used by ship captains who came from England for summer fishing. After the decline of fisheries in the early nineteenth century, the Captain’s Cottage was moved to its present site to serve as a summer residence.
These CHQ properties can be rented for summer holidays, and are perfect for couples, families or small groups. There is a small fee for access to the footpath of Cap Mont-Joli, which helps CHQ to defray the maintenance cost of this magnificent site.
How to get there
Classified Heritage site (Cap Mont-Joli)
Location/Civic Address: 39 rue de Mont-Joli
Municipality: Perce, Comte de Gaspe
Description: Wexford Manor, 100 feet above sea level on Cap Mont Joli, is one of three CHQ houses on Cap Mont-Joli – it is the largest of the houses, with 19 rooms. White painted walls, with red roof. French manoir-style architecture, glassed-in sunroom, and four acres of gardens and lawns.
(Title to Wexford Manor includes property with parking lot and kiosk.)
Date & Source of Acquisition: Cap Mont Joli (not including Captain’s Cottage) purchased by CJG Molson and Mabel Molson, 1956, from Dame Agnes Furlong, wife of Michael P Fennell. Donated to CHQ in 1965.
Design: French architecture . . . glassed-in sunroom
Exterior Elements: Four acres of garden and lawns. Surrounded on three sides by the sea, and over 1,200 feet of private beach.
Interior Elements: Walls paneled in BC fir 12” wide, waxed. No nails, plaster, paint or wallpaper. Large living room on ground floor, open stone fireplace, beamed ceiling. Dining room, breakfast room, butler’s pantry, kitchen and laundry also on main floor. Second floor, seven bedrooms and three bathrooms
Alterations after CHQ Acquisition: In 1990, landscaping work was undertaken to improve drainage. A new cross, and a set of stairs leading down Mont Joli cliff to the beach were erected in 1993. Major renovations 1995, including siding and roof, also minor maintenance including window sills, front door; galleries built (1996?), major landscaping work
Occupational History: Rev J. E. Martin bought land in 1912, and sold it to Joseph Mireault in 1915. [ ]. House was constructed in 1923 (designed) by Dyce C. Saunders. Michael Fennel, harbour consultant and manager of the Port of Montreal, and his wife were owners of the house until the 1950s.