The Canadian Heritage of Quebec: 2015 Milestones

Sir John A. Macdonald: 200th Anniversary
< All Properties & Maps
Heritage Site of Percé

Since 1965, CHQ has ensured the preservation of four historic buildings on Cap Mont-Joli, near Percé Rock. This emblematic site of Quebec was declared a provincial heritage site in 1973. It offers a breathtaking view overlooking Percé Rock and Bonaventure Island.

Located on Cap Mont-Joli, the Wexford Manor (39, du Mont-Joli) is a large house of French style architecture, built in 1926 as a summer residence. On the other side of the small road are the Laberge House (36, du Mont-Joli) and the Captain’s Cottage (38, du Mont-Joli). The middle section of this cottage was originally located on the beach on the south side, near the existing wharf. This house was used by ship captains who came from England for summer fishing. After the decline of fisheries in the early nineteenth century, the Captain’s Cottage was moved to its present site to serve as a summer residence.

These CHQ properties can be rented for summer holidays, and are perfect for couples, families or small groups. There is a small fee for access to the footpath of Cap Mont-Joli, which helps CHQ to defray the maintenance cost of this magnificent site.

How to get there

To reach Percé, you have to take highway 132 and this road also forms the Main Street in the town. Wexford Manor is located close to the Frederick James House, the Captain’s Cottage and the Laberge Cottage, on the short road from the Main Street to Cap Mont-Joli. To get to these houses simply turn towards the water at the Caisse Populaire. This road proceeds straight towards the Bay for about 150 yards then turns sharply to the left (east) and goes up a short steep hill (Cap Canon). The Frederick James House is located at the top of the hill between the road and the cliff while the other three houses are located around the parking lot, near the stairs which lead to the Perce Rock. All the houses are painted white and have red shingle roofs. The Wexford Manor is located at # 39 rue Mont Joli.

Classified Heritage site (Cap Mont-Joli)

Basic information

Name: Wexford Manor

Location/Civic Address: 39 rue de Mont-Joli

Municipality: Perce, Comte de Gaspe

Description: Wexford Manor, 100 feet above sea level on Cap Mont Joli, is one of three CHQ houses on Cap Mont-Joli – it is the largest of the houses, with 19 rooms. White painted walls, with red roof. French manoir-style architecture, glassed-in sunroom, and four acres of gardens and lawns.
(Title to Wexford Manor includes property with parking lot and kiosk.)

Outbuildings: woodshed/garage

Date & Source of Acquisition: Cap Mont Joli (not including Captain’s Cottage) purchased by CJG Molson and Mabel Molson, 1956, from Dame Agnes Furlong, wife of Michael P Fennell. Donated to CHQ in 1965.


Form: 90 ft x 29 ft

Design: French architecture . . . glassed-in sunroom


Exterior Elements: Four acres of garden and lawns. Surrounded on three sides by the sea, and over 1,200 feet of private beach.

Interior Elements: Walls paneled in BC fir 12” wide, waxed. No nails, plaster, paint or wallpaper. Large living room on ground floor, open stone fireplace, beamed ceiling. Dining room, breakfast room, butler’s pantry, kitchen and laundry also on main floor. Second floor, seven bedrooms and three bathrooms

Existing Condition:

Alterations after CHQ Acquisition: In 1990, landscaping work was undertaken to improve drainage. A new cross, and a set of stairs leading down Mont Joli cliff to the beach were erected in 1993. Major renovations 1995, including siding and roof, also minor maintenance including window sills, front door; galleries built (1996?), major landscaping work


Architectural History: Designed and built by Dyce C. Saunders, in 1923 for Michael Fennel.

Occupational History: Rev J. E. Martin bought land in 1912, and sold it to Joseph Mireault in 1915. [ ]. House was constructed in 1923 (designed) by Dyce C. Saunders. Michael Fennel, harbour consultant and manager of the Port of Montreal, and his wife were owners of the house until the 1950s.